Friday, June 10, 2016

One Year Down!!

I'm a little late in writing this post.   We have been keeping busy.   Baby J turned the big number 1 the other day!  How did that happen so quickly.    She has her one year visit on Monday so at that point I will know how big she has gotten, but I'm assuming she's 17lbs and some ounces.  Baby J stands on her own, is getting close to being able to climb anything, and can now walk with one hand assistance.  She can actually walk quite well in the pool, but hasn't braved the non pool surfaces.    The early childhood development person we meet with is really impressed with her and says she is doing well.  She has more consonants than she expected.   I lied the last post and haven't really gotten rid of the 3-6 month clothes.  LOL all her pictures from her birthday are in 3-6 month clothes.  We are starting to move up though.  oh and we still have no teeth.  :-(
It's amazing how fast life can change.  A year ago, I had no idea that in less than a week I would be a mom to a 27 week gestation preemie who was on the verge of death.   We have been so blessed, as since the day I met her, Baby J started to improve and really hasn't looked back.  As a reminder when I met Baby J, she was on the highest ventilator, had a collapsed lung, an open PDA, Grade 3 bilateral brain bleeds, anemic, and couldn't keep her blood gases correctly.  Since leaving the hospital the only thing we have dealt with is acid reflux and a couple rounds of mild bronchiolitis.   I'm pretty sure she does suffer from some outdoor allergies as well, but not enough to worry about it at this point.   
I know I've been really lucky too, because I FAIL as a preemie mom.   If you ever research preemies, everything and everyone says 'keep them inside and away from everyone", I have not been able to do that.  Within the first month of being home, Baby J had been to 2 family parties, on an out of state trip, and started to go with me to be around a bunch of high school students.  We rarely are home for an entire day.  Hopefully that will help her combat illness in the fall.  I love being a mom, and I feel like Baby J and I were meant to be together.  She is a happy little girl almost all the time, loves laughing and playing.   We have been having a lot of fun this summer.   We went on a trip to see her cousins and a hot air balloon festival.  We have also spent several evenings at the pool (indoor).  Baby J loves to swim.  She has even tried going between two people and is doing much better on keeping her mouth closed.  She loves walking around in the pool.  We also had her bday party where she smashed her cake completely and made a huge mess.  She showed interest in all her presents and let people pass her around.   I know 1st birthday parties are weird and don't seem like a big deal, but for us it was.  She has lived a year and that is a big deal and I'm so thankful to friends and family that could make it out. 

I was going to write this blog with a bunch of deep thoughts and insight, but I'm having to much with baby to take the time to do that at this point.  I love having the summer (though don't love the heat) to spend time with her.  Thank you to everyone who has supported us in so many ways over the last year.   I'm so very blessed with Baby J.


No comments:

Post a Comment