Sunday, July 26, 2015

Baby J- 7 weeks old (34 weeks gestational)

Baby J now weighs 3lb 2.4oz.  We are slowly putting on weight.  Her length last night was
39 cm (or almost 15 1/2 inches)
This means she has grown almost 1 1/4 inches longer.  She's starting to have a double chin and little chubby legs.
Today she is 7 weeks and would be 34 weeks gestational age.   It's hard to believe she is almost 2 months old.   Today was her last dose of caffeine. They haven't upped it since she's been gaining weight so it shouldn't make any difference and I would be very happy not to go home on that.  
Cone head??  Nah it's her hat sliding off!
Most exciting news though is that they have put in the order for the speech pathologist to come and examine her- that is the person who decides if she is ready to try a bottle.   She is ready.   She is showing all the signs the hospital is saying should be there.  She is awake around feeding time, she looks for something to suck on, and she is definately showing signs of hunger.   About 1/2 hour before feeding time, she believes she's starving.   Today she sucked on my finger.  It was cute and kept her calm for a little bit.  She spends a lot of time sucking on her pacifier - we moved up a size the other day.    

Today she has spent a lot of time awake, most of a two hour period.  So I've taken to making faces with her and watching her smile.  Of course she stops or pretends to be asleep every time I get the camera.   We are still having some problems with temperature, but I wonder if she's being dealt an unfair judgement since they have kept her in only a onesie.    Today she got another bath.  She LOVES bath time.   This time we got a bigger container with a bed type thing that slanted upward.  She was able to lay on that with a lot of supervision and she really enjoyed that.                                                                            BTW- I can't thank everyone again for the support they are showing me through prayers, love, donations, and watching my pets and house.   Tomorrow I'm paying a huge chunk of money to Ronald McDonald house and thankfully it's from donations.  I could never have been able to stay up here as much as I have without everyone's help.    And honestly I think it's made a huge difference for Baby J to have someone here.  Many of the nurses and doctors tell me she's a miracle baby (I think I would agree, but I've become a little biased)   :-)   You may not think you are a part of that, but just by reading my blog I know that people are supporting us and it's hard for me to ask for help, but I'm learning.  AND I absolutely am very blessed and appreciative of it.    
So that's about all for tonight.  I hope I have some really good news tomorrow about bottle feeding.  Enjoy these pictures I took while she was wide awake today for such a long time.   
Happy 7week Baby J.



Tried to take a picture of her holding her pacifier in her mouth with her hand, but she threw the pacifier at me as I took the picture.   Silly girl.  And as you can tell she is very amused by it.









 Currently plotting how to get out of the cuddled position the nurse put Baby J in.  



 Little feet, little fingers

Totally faking her sleep here.  




And just for fun.....last night I got to see my puppies.  They were VERY HAPPY!







3 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job Mom! Baby J needs you! I continue to pray for your journey here in Topeka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've both come a long way! Glad to see such uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am convinced you can take a great deal of credit for the way Baby J is coming along. Love is a great healer. When Jimmy was born he was in an incubator with no skin in skin contact with anyone. As soon as I could take him home he made great improvements with everything. He was no longer anemic when he went for his 4 week checkup. I was 16 and full of so much love for my boys. Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete