Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Baby J Day 78/79 & 1+1=2

Baby J is home!    I am no longer an I, but a we.   It's been a crazy few days, but we have made it home and have survived our first night.  
Day 78 was a truly disappointing day.  I knew the doctors were doing what was best for Baby J, but it hit me pretty hard when they said she couldn't come home.  And it was based on technology that wasn't functioning correctly.  That was truly frustrating.  Especially since she has really been good to go for a week.    But it was probably more upsetting as an inconvenience than anything (I had auditions yesterday and today).   However after 79 days in the NICU (level III) Baby J was released at 11 weeks and 1 day (2 weeks short of her due date).  She is 5lb 4.1 oz and healthy as could be.   Not only was she able to come home early, but she came home on no oxygen, no monitors, no medicines.  The only thing prescribed for her is follow up appointments and vitamin D and sticking with Neosure formula.    She is still using a haberman (a specialized bottle), but I don't think she will be on it long as she sucks that down like there is no tomorrow.

I think she is a little miracle that had an amazing NICU staff and lots of prayers from so many places that helped her to do so well.  I will never be able to show my gratitude enough to everyone that has helped us out or who has prayed for her.   I know how lucky we are.  Born at 27 weeks usually results in all sorts of problems.   BUT we had only problems the first couple of weeks and have done nothing but improve.   It's hard to believe less than 3 months ago this little girl wasn't expected to survive.  She couldn't breath on her own and was on an oscillator longer than she should have been, had hemorrages in her brain, had a heart murmur, her PDA wasn't closed and she was very anemic.   And to top that all off she was gaining weight extremely slow.

However today we can happily say she has none of these problems.   While we don't know the long term effects she appears and acts like a normal newborn who already smiles, is full of spunk, and has a strong personilty.  We left the hospital 2 weeks earlier than due date with only a slight case of ROP (that could still clear up on it's own- and isn't very severe) and that is it.  

We did get home late last night and because I literally just moved a few baby things into the new house and not much else, I feel very disorganized.   We survived our first night alone, without monitors and I even got some sleep.   It helps she came home on a schedule already (though we did throw it off some on the way home) and is a pretty happy/content baby.  Today it is a little hard being at work.  I wish I could take off more time..but it is the way it is.   And Grandma is watching her so she's good.  

1 week old


Thank you everyone for showing me some real good in the world.   Thank you for your support and your prayers.    Your donations helped me to stay with Baby J during the summer and without them I definately couldn't have done that.    Your prayers helped me bring home a healthy baby girl and FINALLY I am on the way to fulfilling the dream of being a mom.   The adoption will now move forward and hopefully soon we will finalize.   Thank you and thank you for reading our blog.  We will continue to keep it updated.

Look how far she has come.   1 week old to 11 weeks old!
11 weeks old

No comments:

Post a Comment