Sunday, August 30, 2015

Baby J- We are still alive

Car seat test picture!
Ready to head home
(obligatory hospital picture)
I am sure for the couple of people that read this, you have started to wonder if maybe we did not survive our first week.   Well we did.  I just got internet moments ago.   It has been a crazy week.   Baby J came home Monday and we got home about 9pm.  First night went really well.   2nd night she choked on her formula with reflux about 2 hours after eating.  Scared me pretty bad.  Thankfully my parents had pulled out her little syringe bulb thing (of which I had never used) and I was able to clear her pretty fast.  I'm afraid had it not been out I would have lost her.  So 2nd night was a little more sleepless.  

 It's been a very busy week.  After the incident Tuesday night I did some investigating between all the habermans we had and discovered that the one the hospital had been using since she started eating from a bottle was in fact broke.  It had a huge slit through the top of the nipple.   That is frustrating that not one of the nurses caught that.  I mentioned it was going to fast about a week ago and normally would have been much more insistent about that but I thought they knew what they are doing and I've never used this kind of bottle.  In fact they did not.  So the fact that she set off alarms still so much was definitely not the fault of her.   I've used a regular bottle this weeks with a preemie nipple which she does pretty well on.   So we have been going back and forth between the two.  I like the haberman (now that we have one that works) because it doesn't allow anything to come out between her gulps.  

Wednesday I got to take the day off for her doctors appointment.  I wish I could take some time off, but I can't.   I was lucky enough to spend 9 full weeks with her.    We went to her first doctors appointment.  I like her pediatrician who came recommended from a friend.  Baby J weighed 5 lb 4 oz on Monday and was up to 5 lb 7oz on Wednesday..  Which was awesome.  I was worried she wouldn't be doing well.  She will go in for weekly weight checks for a while to make sure she is growing.  She also got a vaccine that she couldn't get in the hospital.   The doctor was really impressed with her - sadly though she had not received information from the hospital yet.   She gave me a different type of Vitamin D, a drop instead of  1ml...so hopefully that will help with the reaction to it.    We also went and met my old daycare buddies and went and met a couple of my cousins.  Ok she met...I already know them.  ha ha.
Herbie and baby

Sebastian and baby!
Thursday I did my first outing with her by myself and though I thought I grabbed a formula- I apparently did not so she thought she was dying of starvation by the time we got home from grocery shopping.  oops.

Friday I got my puppies back.  I am very excited.  Sebastian not so much.  He is very confused.   Herbie is the one showing interest in the baby.  He gets really worried if she is crying.  It's cute.
He's still twice the size of her.    Soon she will be bigger.   She also met some friends Friday night.


Saturday I went to a family anniversary party.  And today is a baby shower my aunt is throwing and church.  So much for keeping her secluded.  Oh well.   Might as well get used to my
busy schedule and life.  

Oh the other awesome news is she went to a follow up appointment for her eyes yesterday and the doctor said he doesn't need to see her again.  He said her ROP looked so much better than in the hospital reports so it is clearing itself up.  Not that she still may not need glasses down the road- but that could have happened without ROP.  So she is officially a healthy happy little girl.   YEA!

It's been interesting when people are like 'cute baby, how old is she" and I reply with almost 3 months.  There is a pause and a oh from the person before they are like- she is so tiny.   haha.  I usually then say she was a preemie.    Someday we will not need that explanation and at the rate she eats that could be very soon.    Thank you everyone for your support and prayers.  Because of that I was able to bring a little girl who almost didn't make it home as a healthier than most preemies baby.  
And now hopefully adoption will occur quickly and we will officially belong to each other - in the eyes of the law.  
I'm so blessed to finally see a dream come true.
 

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I'm so glad your first week went well (all choking issues considered)! Also, SUPER happy to read her ROP is correcting itself. I can't wait for you to finalize. Hopefully you can get a court date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes my heart sing to hear that so much is going well for you both! God bless you and that precious gal.

    ReplyDelete